Re: Enlightenment and Gnome Panel on XINERAMA

>From: Sri Ramkrishna <sri@aracnet.com>

>> Sorry - what I explained way back in the thread is that Xinerama is an X
>
>Wow, I must have missed that thread, sure it wasn't just on e-develop? :)

I started it on e-develop - not sure when it got moved to gnome too ;O)

>> extension that allows the server to treat multiple physical graphics
>> cards and screens as one Display.  So you get one copy of Enlightenment
>> and Gnome, and you can drag stuff around between the screens.  So my 2
>> screens become one 2560x1024 screen.  It can be cool, or it can be a
>> hinderence.
>
>That sounds pretty cool..isn't that what the mac was able to do some time
>back?  Does it work on networked computers too?  Now that would be
>something being able to move a window on one computer to another computer
>seamlessly would be very interesting.  It may not be terribly useful but
>certainly something intersting to implement.

It's still not quite as clever as the Mac one, in that you can't have unviewed
areas of desktop between the actual screens - you just get as much desktop as
can be seen - and since it's stick each screen together, they have to be exactly
the same res and colour depth.  For instance, on the Mac, you could have a big,
high-res, 32-bit display and an old, low-res display both working at once, as
best as they can work.  With Xinerama, as the Xserver is mimicing one big
graphics card over multiple, you get a least-common-denominator effect, and so
the big new graphics card and screen has to be run the same as the old one.
Here it would make far more sense to run them as separate displays off the same
server, and so windows stay put on each screen (but drag-and-drop still works).
That's how I've worked up until now - but both of my graphics cards are
identical.

On the up-side, the Mac never had X's ability to do remote displaying of other
system's GUIs =O)

But no, you can't use this to drag windows between machines.  It's limited
purely to the hardware available to the OS at that time.  The Xserver process
grabs the locally available displays and adds them together.

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'  "That weenie's avoiding me!" - Scott McNealy about i.am/BillZebub