Re: Enlightenment and Gnome Panel on XINERAMA

gnome-list@gnome.org

> It's still not quite as clever as the Mac one, in that you can't have unviewed
> areas of desktop between the actual screens - you just get as much desktop as
> can be seen - and since it's stick each screen together, they have to be exactly
> the same res and colour depth.  For instance, on the Mac, you could have a big,
> high-res, 32-bit display and an old, low-res display both working at once, as
> best as they can work.  With Xinerama, as the Xserver is mimicing one big
> graphics card over multiple, you get a least-common-denominator effect, and so
> the big new graphics card and screen has to be run the same as the old one.
> Here it would make far more sense to run them as separate displays off the same
> server, and so windows stay put on each screen (but drag-and-drop still works).
> That's how I've worked up until now - but both of my graphics cards are
> identical.
>
> On the up-side, the Mac never had X's ability to do remote displaying of other
> system's GUIs =O)

FYI
I am not sure if you are talking about the present times, but Mac has been
able to accomplish this for a while, you can connect via appletalk or tcp to
another machine and run its gui and such, maybe you werent clear on
what you meant but this is what I gathered.

On another note, is there an admin of this list serv out there
reading this?  If so, it's a good idea to put the gnome-list address in
the Reply To section of majordomo or whatever it is you are using
here.  If this is not an option, well then I unerstand.  If it is an option
it would make it a lot easier to reply to this list without having to
change the address from the user who sent the last message to
the gnome-list address in the reply window.  Just something to
think about (all the other lists I am on are this way, it is a nice
feature)

Cheers!

Derek E. Mart
A+ Technician