mounting/unmounting devices for newbies

what with mounting/unmounting drives, I am wondering how people expect
newbies to use removeable disks? As I see it, this is the major reason
that my mom couldn't use Gnome/Linux. I think that for most things,
window's way of dealing with disks makes a lot of sense if you don't
understand what's going on underneith. To the user, the fact that the
floppy/zip/cd is in the drive should mean that the computer sees it.

with things like automount and "rescan mountable devices" it looks as
though things arn't that easy yet.

comments?

--ben