RE: No Task bar or left mouse

On 23-Apr-99 Ken Marin typed:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Gnome1.0 on a RH5.2 with a PII233.  It seems to partially
> work.  There is no task bar
        we call it a 'panel'. how are you running gnome? do you run
'gnome-session' or 'panel' in your ~/.xinitrc (or other file)?
if not try it. else run an xterm (should be the top choice in the second
submenu of your middle click menu) and run 'panel' and output the errors to a
file and submit them.
> and the left and right mouse buttons dont
> work. It is a 3 button Logitech with the center button being a wheel.
> It all worked fine in X.  When it first loaded it was only a grey screen
> and the center click on the mouse gave a menu to configure but it seems
> to be really limited.  The vid card is a Diamond 2000.  Could the mouse
> be conflicting?  I tried what was said on the help page ( del. the
> sessions  and reinstalling the core) but it looks the same.  Any
> pointers would be great. Thanks

how do you know the mouse doesn't work? are you talking about clicking on the
background and nothing happening (nothing should happen, btw)? choose an option
on that menu (like xterm) with the left and it should work. here's the pointer
section of my XF86Config file (i use a logitech wheel mouse and RH5.2). yours
should look like this.

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IMPS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   Resolution      100
   Buttons         5
   ZAxisMapping    4 5
EndSection

the 'Buttons' and 'ZAxisMapping' parts make it use the wheel (but in most apps
you still need something like imwheel to get it to do anything).