gtk problem

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I needed to start
somewhere, so here I am.

I have a strange problem with my GTK installation. It showed itself when I was
trying to do some builds that required gtk (balsa for one).  What happens is
that it always fails saying the gtk is not present.

If I verify gtk with rpm I get the following:

[ric@darkstar] ~ric: rpm -qa | grep gtk
gtk+-devel-1.2.0-2
gtk+10-1.0.6-4
gtk+-1.2.0-2
gtk-engines-0.5-8

So far so good. But balsa (and other gnome apps won't compile, complaining that
gtk is missing. So I tried to uninstall it, and re-install. Now the strangeness
really begins. If I try to remove it with rpm -e gtk+-1.2.0-2 it fails, with
tpm reporting that gtk.... is not installed!  (huh?). If I try to Install over
the top of what's there, rpm fails reporting that it's already installed...
(grief)

I thought maybe it's rpm that's hosed. So I tried to rebuild the rpm
database... didn't help.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!!!!!

	Ric