No Task bar or left mouse

Hi,

I'm running Gnome1.0 on a RH5.2 with a PII233.  It seems to partially
work.  There is no task bar and the left and right mouse buttons dont
work. It is a 3 button Logitech with the center button being a wheel.
It all worked fine in X.  When it first loaded it was only a grey screen
and the center click on the mouse gave a menu to configure but it seems
to be really limited.  The vid card is a Diamond 2000.  Could the mouse
be conflicting?  I tried what was said on the help page ( del. the
sessions  and reinstalling the core) but it looks the same.  Any
pointers would be great. Thanks