Strange? problems starting Gnome as root.

I'm kind of new, so please don't laugh if this is a stupid question.

I can get Gnome working fine if I log in as a 'user', but have limited
access to my PPP Dialer (I use KDE) and other software (like StarOffice),
but Gnome does work.

If I log in as root, so I can access those programs, Gnome doesn't start.  I
only get a gray screen with a pointer.  I can middle-click and start the
pager, file manager and other programs, but I can't save the session, exit
without killing the Xwindows or start the session again without the gray
screen.

I obviously changed my Xclients to the #!/bin/bash, exec gnome-session, ##
since Gnome works as a user.  What am I doing wrong with the root account?

Also.  Since I'm new to Linux in general, shouldn't I be able to change the
group access to my ppp dialer and StarOffice to give users access to those
programs?  If I do, it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Roger