RE: Strange? problems starting Gnome as root.

> If I log in as root, so I can access those programs, Gnome
> doesn't start.  I
> only get a gray screen with a pointer.  I can middle-click and start the
> pager, file manager and other programs, but I can't save the session, exit
> without killing the Xwindows or start the session again without the gray
> screen.

Just a first thought... you shouldn't really log in as root and do your
everyday stuff as root... it's dangerous!

Could it be that your kde ppp-tool and staroffice are not in your path when
you log in with gnome? try typing, at a terminal window, which <name of
ppptool executable>. Does it find it somewhere? Otherwise you need to find
the applications and add their location to your path.

> I obviously changed my Xclients to the #!/bin/bash, exec gnome-session, ##
> since Gnome works as a user.  What am I doing wrong with the root account?

You could try removing ~/.gnome/session and try again... as a last resort.

Did you edit the system Xclient? It's probably better to edit every user's
.Xclients file.

Richard