Re: [gnome-list] gnome vs. network

Hi,

	If I'm not mistaken this is a 'quirk' of RedHat's since 5.1.  I think
it's in RH's initscripts.  If your machine name isn't set or is set to
'localhost' then the scripts will reset the 'HOSTNAME' to your dialup
address when it's assigned on login to a ppp account.  A fix is to just
add a machine name different from 'localhost' to /etc/hosts.  (ie:
127.0.0.1       yourmachine      localhost    localhost.localdomain)

	Though I don't know if this is proper syntax for /etc/hosts it works
for me and several other folks I know.  Now when I log onto my dialup I
don't have to deal with RH resetting my machine name to my dialup mask.
Setting a hostname in /etc/HOSTNAME never did work for me.  On login to
my dialup RH would change the hostname to the dialup mask.  Very
annoying!