Re: Solaris 2.6 compile & install: How-I-did-it

Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Paul Barnfather wrote:
>
> > All tarballs mostly compiled with:
> >       gunzip -c <tarball-name.gz> | tar xvf -
> >       cd <tarball-name>
> >       ./configure
>
> This is way too suboptimal. By default, gcc generates sparcv7 code.
> This means it won't use multiply and division instructions which all other
> SPARCs have. Instead you'll have function calls. Since multiply
> instruction takes only one processor cycle, function call for the usual
> multiplication algorithm is really an overkill.

Ack! I had no idea. It seems -msupersparc is what I want for my '10.

Now that I have got the shared libs more sussed, I will try a rebuild,
see how it goes.

You learn something new every day...

<snip!>

> > Now edit /usr/openwin/lib/Xinitrc to run up Gnome instead of
> > Openwindows:
> > Don't know how to do this properly, I commented out out the if-block
> > that
> > begins 'if [ "$OW_WINDOW_MANAGER" ]; then', and added 'exec
> > gnome-session'
>
> You should add GNOME entry to Options->Sessions in the dtlogin window.
> `man dtlogin' is probably a good start for doing this.

Ah, I see. I'm not using dtlogin at the moment. I will re-enable it,
see what happens

Thanks for the feedback so far, I'll report again on progress.

--
|  plb@clanger9.demon.co.uk  paul.barnfather@northern-electric.co.uk |