Re: Solaris 2.6 compile & install: How-I-did-it

Paul Barnfather wrote:

> All tarballs mostly compiled with:
> 	gunzip -c <tarball-name.gz> | tar xvf -
> 	cd <tarball-name>
> 	./configure

This is way too suboptimal. By default, gcc generates sparcv7 code.
This means it won't use multiply and division instructions which all other
SPARCs have. Instead you'll have function calls. Since multiply
instruction takes only one processor cycle, function call for the usual
multiplication algorithm is really an overkill.

Use at least -mv8 flag. In case your binary ends on sparcv7, OS will
emulate the instruction, although I think that SPARCs that old are
out of function today. Think about -msupersparc, too.

> bash-2.0.3: needed for Gnome shell scripts, install in /bin

Or Gnome shell scripts need to be ported to sh? Sometimes it would be
enough to use `#!/bin/sh' in the first line. And what about all those
nice configure scripts which don't check for the location of bash?
Gnome is utterly broken in this respect.

> libgr-2.0.13: what does it do? won't gmake, anyway :-( skipping...

I think it's just all other graphics libraries repacked. I don't
know if anyone maintaines it, so it's best skipped.

> zlib-1.1.3: OK
> jpeg-6b: ./configure --enable-shared, otherwise imlib complains later
> libungif-4.1.0: v3 won't make - use v4 instead (needs gmake as well)

Or libgif, if you think the patent thing won't be an obstacle.

> libpng-1.0.3: not autoconf - must manually select makefile, make test
> 	doesn't work

I'll have to check this one. I think it worked for me, but I'm not sure.

> tiff-v3.4: OK

Take care with libtiff.so. There is one in /usr/openwin/lib and
that's *not* the right one. But it will be linked in in case ld.so.1
searches /usr/openwin/lib before /usr/local/lib.

> Python-1.5.2: from www.python.org

My instalation of Python (1.5.1 version) doesn't have Tk things working.
None of the examples work. I've never investigated this further, though.
Does it work for you?

Tcl/Tk works fine. If it makes any difference, everything was compiled
with Sun's cc.

> Now edit /usr/openwin/lib/Xinitrc to run up Gnome instead of
> Openwindows:
> Don't know how to do this properly, I commented out out the if-block
> that
> begins 'if [ "$OW_WINDOW_MANAGER" ]; then', and added 'exec
> gnome-session'

You should add GNOME entry to Options->Sessions in the dtlogin window.
`man dtlogin' is probably a good start for doing this.

> gnome-audio-1.0: manually copy to /usr/local/share/audio, sounds still
> don't work

That would be because of libaudiofile, I think.

> gtop-1.0.2: OK, runs up, won't display anything (until ligtop fixed?)

Ported, not fixed. It's coming.

> I get console errors "GnomeUI-WARNING **: Accelerator support disabled.
> Use at
> least GTK+ 1.2.1 if you want it."
> I have GTK+ 1.2.2, so I don't understand this :-[

I don't know about this one. Could it be that it actually requires
X11R6.3 or something like that? In that case, error message should be
more descriptive.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.