Panel volume applet and gmix

I've noticed that rebooting Linux loses my previous volume setting on
the volume control panel applet. I had originally thought simply
quitting Gnome and restarting it was doing it, but that doesn't appear
to be the case. Granted, most people (myself included) don't reboot
Linux that often (or do they?), but I've been doing some hard-drive
swapping recently and ran across this. Is it safe to assume that the
panel applet is getting it's "default" setting from the soundcard
itself, and that rebooting, or resetting the soundcard puts its default
volume back to MAX ?

What's worse is that it sets it to maximum volume !

I also get this message at my console where I start gnome:

message: warning: this version of gmix was compiled with a different
version of soundcard.h

The applet works fine, so I'm not too concerned with that error
message...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hall