Debugging problems

>    previously posted to this list, I attempted to use gdm to get a
>    stacktrace. Unfortunately, gmc always reloads far quicker than I
gdm is the gnome display manager... the debugger is called gdb. Or maybe you just did a typo. But it makes sense to me since gdm has to be run as root, and gdb can be run by any user.

Regarding the stacktrace, why don't you debug the core file that get dumped?

When crashing, gmc drops a file named 'core' in the current directory.
gdb <full path to gmc> core

should let you debug the core file.

Hope it helps
/Richard