Re: graphical ssh based file browser.. (a gmc addition ?)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 04:12:25PM -0400, Federico Mena Quintero was heard to say:
> > >  This is an idea of a friend of mine (Chris Derventzis), but he'll never
> > >  get around to posting it, so I will..
> > >
> > >  I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about creating a remote file
> > >  browser using ssh ..
> > [snip]
> >
> > Check out the "fish" file system for GMC; it does just what you want.
> >
> >   Federico

To answer my own question (where to get info about this), checkout the mc
web page, in particular:  http://www.gnome.org/mc/manual-i.html#4

Seems they also have file system for allowing undeleting of files for an
ext2 file system..

Ryan

>   Hey, neat!  More evidence of the coolness of libvfs...
>
>   I noticed three things while playing around with this:
>
>   (1)  It's *slow*.  My suspicion is that gmc isn't reusing connections and
>      reconnecting for every operation (ssh connections take a long time to
>      negotiate)
>
>   (2)  Double-clicking on a directory in icon view doesn't enter it (this might
>      be a general gmc thing, I don't know)
>
>   (3) *** I can't link from the fish filesystem to the desktop.  I know there
>      are probably some technical difficulties here, but a way to do this would
>      be excellent.  (also, a little icon next to "Location" that represents the
>      cwd -- like Netscape -- would help for this).
>
>   Anyway, these aren't really critical issues.  Fish is good. :-)
>
>   Daniel
>
> --
>   Believe in the Great God Om or be stricken with thunderbolts?
>   Is that the way it always has to be?
>
>              -- Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_
>

> --

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne