Re: graphical ssh based file browser.. (a gmc addition ?)

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 04:12:25PM -0400, Federico Mena Quintero was heard to say:
> >  This is an idea of a friend of mine (Chris Derventzis), but he'll never
> >  get around to posting it, so I will..
> >
> >  I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about creating a remote file
> >  browser using ssh ..
> [snip]
>
> Check out the "fish" file system for GMC; it does just what you want.
>
>   Federico

  Hey, neat!  More evidence of the coolness of libvfs...

  I noticed three things while playing around with this:

  (1)  It's *slow*.  My suspicion is that gmc isn't reusing connections and
     reconnecting for every operation (ssh connections take a long time to
     negotiate)

  (2)  Double-clicking on a directory in icon view doesn't enter it (this might
     be a general gmc thing, I don't know)

  (3) *** I can't link from the fish filesystem to the desktop.  I know there
     are probably some technical difficulties here, but a way to do this would
     be excellent.  (also, a little icon next to "Location" that represents the
     cwd -- like Netscape -- would help for this).

  Anyway, these aren't really critical issues.  Fish is good. :-)

  Daniel

--
  Believe in the Great God Om or be stricken with thunderbolts?
  Is that the way it always has to be?

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_