graphical ssh based file browser.. (a gmc addition ?)

This is an idea of a friend of mine (Chris Derventzis), but he'll never
get around to posting it, so I will..

I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about creating a remote file
browser using ssh ..

I know ssh can redirect ports for ftp etc..  Plus it has scp to transfer
files..

I think it would be cool if, say gmc added support for remote browsing
and file copying "graphically" for ssh.

The user could specify the directory like ssh:leduc@host:/etc

The program could then use ssh to connect (pop a window to ask for a
password if neccessary (if you use an ssh key and ssh-agent, this can be
avoided), and then do a ls of the directory, and display it
graphically..

it would be similar to the ftp option, but all transfer and verification
would be through ssh..

It would provide a safe and secure and easy method to transfer files,
and allow a user to transfer files remotely securely, without having to
enter a passwd everytime..

Ryan

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne