Re: GNOME libs 1.0.7 has been released

James Green wrote:

> Windows was designed (read: nicked) for the masses. Microsoft spent a
> lot of money researching how users look at their monitor-space, how they
> react to things, how they get things done. We should be using the fruits
> of their labour as inspiration for the Linux GUIs. Windows may crash,
> but the UI, while not for everyone, is usable by the average man in the
> street. It wouldn't have changed the world if it wasn't.

I hear a lot of people suggest we should copy the windows (95, NT) GUI
for linux..

I think we should adopt whatever is best..  Search the OSes for good GUI
tools and adopt a version..  Windows has a lot of good ideas, but there
are a lot of other options..

I personally think the best GUI is the Mac.  Windows is a pale copy, for
the most part.  The MAC GUI is better thought, nor consistent, and FAR
more intuitive..  I've always found thw windows GUI as quickly thrown
together.

Other good sources of inspiration are Next and OS/2.  I'm sure there are
others, bu t these are the ones I'm used before.

Ryan

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne