Re: to add to everyone's sound woes

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 03:45:18PM -0400, Edward Dunagin was heard to say:

> when i run, i get:
>
> [root@bbs local]# esd -as 2 &
> [1] 18603
> - autostandby timeout: 2 seconds
> initializing...
> Unable to bind port 5001
> [1]+  Exit 1                  esd -as 2
>
> whats up here?
>
> thanks..................ed

  It looks like esd is trying to listen on port 5001 and failing.  The main
reason I can think of for this to happen is that you've got another program
(possibly a horrendously confused esd) already listening on port 5001.  Try
"killall -KILL esd" and the above again; if that doesn't work, see what other
daemons you're running and see if any of them use port 5001.  If that doesn't
work, I'm not sure what the problem is.  Ask someone more knowledgable
than me. :-)

  Daniel

--
  Wisdom is one of the few things that looks bigger the farther away it is.

  -- Terry Pratchett