Re: to add to everyone's sound woes

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Neb Bosworth wrote:

> That is not the problem.... the problem is that I get no sound or anything from
> panel or other gnome apps except apps that don't use esd like xmcd and gqmpeg.

>From what you described, that IS the problem.

When you run "esd -as 2", esd starts, you hear the beeps, it says
"initializing...", etc.  Then when you hit Ctrl-C, esd terminates, it no
longer is running, so programs counting on esd (like panel), don't have
sound output.

If you run it as "esd -as 2 &" then you should still hear the beeps,
and see initializing, but it is running in the background, so you
aren't tempted to hit Ctrl-C, and it stays running.  Then, assuming no
bugs, panel and other GNOME programs will be able to find it, and you will
get sound output.

> On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Neb Bosworth wrote:
[snip]
> > [root@localhost /root]$ esd -as 2
> > - autostandby timeout: 2 seconds
> > initializing...
> >
> > I hear the beeps, then it sits at the "initializing..." line and does nothing
> > and I then have to ctrl-c it and it kicks out the following, normal looking
> > output:
> >
> > received signal 2: terminating...
> > bye bye
> > [root@localhost /root]$

That is normal looking output for exiting out of esd by hitting Ctrl-C.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef