Why I am getting -g from configure ?

Today I noticed that when I got the latest ORBit from CVS and did,
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome
make

it started compiling just fine, but it was using the -g -O2 option to
gcc. This seemed strange to have both debugging info and optimizations
on. I know that gcc says this is possible but I certianly don't need
debug info, not yet at least. After reading the INSTALL file, I came to
the conclusion that debug info should be off by default. So can somebody
give me an idea of what is causing the -g option to be activated ?

I noticed the same thing when I compiled gimp 1.0.4 from a tarball. The
compilation went fine but the runtimes were very large and I had to
"strip" them.

/Lukas