Re: CDE / Gnome article

In message <KqRf$wA2yTC3EwHA@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk>, James Green writes:
+-----
| However, the author also takes note that Gnome has surpasses CDE in many
| ways which is splendid as Gnome has only been developed in around 1/5th
| the time. He points out that Unix pros are more likely to go for the
| stability in CDE, but that newbies will go straight to Gnome.
+--->8

CDE's biggest problem is that it's made up of components from four different
Unix vendors who are normally trying to be as different from each other as
they can.  I'm not sure they know how to cooperate to produce an environment
that will work well on all of their systems --- all too often they'll be too
busy fighting over whose components get used and how much of their APIs to
reveal to the other members to actually *add* the components.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu