Re: Another GMC suggestion/request

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 12:22:10AM +0200, Matthias Warkus wrote:
> +++ Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 10:27:06AM -0500 +++
> Hall e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > The standard key in Emacs ? So ? I don't use Emacs... Never have... Know of
> > no reason to...
> >
> > I hated to compare my original suggestion to something that's available in
> > Windows Explorer, but it's something I've used since Windows v3.x and have
> > gotten used to. I had a GMC window open the other day and simply tried it
> > from habit. Then again, how many Windows users even know about this
> > "shortcut" ?
>
> I repeat myself:
>
> Gnome should become a user-friendly system. Not a
> Windows-user-friendly system.
>
> "ease of transition from Windows" != "ease of use"

I repeat the README in gnome/mc:

"the GNOME version is aimed to be a simple to use tool for novice users."

It would be good if a novice user could find out about the C-s combination
from an equivalent menu entry.

In general, I think that "ease of use" should imply that a user with some
experience should be able to figure out most of the options of a program
by just playing with the gui. The manual should only be needed to provide
the user with details and to explain options that are inherently
complicated.

Ronald