RE: "proprietary" vs. polluting (was Re: propriatary question)

Point, and No point.... :)

What happens if, hmm.. lets say star office, wants to create a program...

they want one desktop file

lets call it office.desktop. (who cares about the real name)

where should they put it?   with kde?   with gnome?  with enlightenment?
With what?

the resason you gave for putting them in the gnome directory is because you
do not wish to force order on others. BUT, that is not exactly correct. The
user can choose to order them how ever he/she sees fit. so, in effect, there
are no limitations on order. Besides, even when gnome programs add there own
desktops they choose where to put them... it is up to the programmer of the
program and the end user to deside where they go... rewriting a program to
scan in gnomes directory, enlightenments directory, kde's and what have you
are just abunch more code. it is really unnessisary and burdunsome on the
packager.

The idea is to allow the user to deside (they can just reorder the desktop
files in /usr/share/apps if they dont like to ordering) and the programmer
to only have to wory about throwing there desktop file in one place for all
environments /usr/share/apps