Re: [Fwd: Word Processors]

Timothy Ritchey wrote:
> > The MS way of using XML as file format may look like this: The files are
> > saved in XML and rendered by the apps via style sheets. The style sheet
> > engine will probably use Active-X or something similar.
> > The bad thing in this is the non-open style sheet language,
>
> I was thinking of CSS - which is a W3C standard I thought.
>
> > The standard stylesheet mechamism for SGML
> > now is DSSL and DSSL uses scheme as script language. That should fit
> > much better in gnome. SGML/DSSL is a little bit rocket science, though...
>
> I certainly agree about the rocket science part. However, if it were
> possible to reuse DSSSL with XML instead of SGML (which would seem to be
> reasonable) then maybe some of the more essoteric parts could be culled.

Actually, XML has its own proposed style language: XSL (eXtensible Style
Language). XSL was simplified from DSSSL in much the same way XML was
from SGML. XSL also uses XML syntax. It was designed, IIRC, as a more
general, more flexible replacement for CSS. It was submitted to the W3C
and is on their website somewhere.

Also, it was created at least in part by Microsoft, so I think this is a
good bet for the stylesheet language they use in O2000.

Tim