Re: Word Processors

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Steve Luzynski wrote:

> Goes back to one of the things that really pisses me off about the US
> phone system. Say you dial a long distance number in the same area code.
> A voice comes on and says "You need to dial a 1 for that number". Now, if
> the thing has enough intelligence to know that I needed the 1, why
> doesn't it just put the damn call through for me by adding the 1 itself?

Because the '1' means that you agree to be charged long-distance rates on
the call.  You actually have to press the '1' in order for them to be able
in good conscience to charge you for the call.  It's a fairness issue.

We actually run into this issue a lot in the ISP business.  We love
this rule, as no one can "accidentally" cause themselves to be charged
for long distance (and then of course try to get us to pay for it.)
When you dial a '1', you know you're going to be charged, and that's
the end of the story.  (In actuality it's more complex than this in some
cases, but this is about it.)

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net