Re: Word Processors

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Rule:
>       Cell:TextEntered:(*),(*)*
>       Cell:TextOverflowed(\1,\2)*
>       Column:SizeChanged(\1)*:Diff>0
>
> Action:
>       Show "It seems like you want to make the cell bigger to let
>             your text fit on the screen, you might consider double
>             clicking on the column division to let Gnumeric
>             calculate the best column width for you"

And of course, this pops up non modal, without input focus, out of the
area I'm typing in. And it gets even cooler when there's a pushbutton on
the bottom of it that says "Push me to have this done for you."

Goes back to one of the things that really pisses me off about the US
phone system. Say you dial a long distance number in the same area code.
voice comes on and says "You need to dial a 1 for that number". Now, if
the thing has enough intelligence to know that I needed the 1, why
doesn't
it just put the damn call through for me by adding the 1 itself?

> Another example would be:
>
> Rule:
>       Cell:TextEntered:(*),(*):(.*)([0-9]+)
>       Cell:TextEntered:\1+1,\2:(.*)([0-9]+)
> or
>       Cell:TextEntered:(*),(*):Monday
>       Cell:TextEntered:\1+1,\2:Tuesday
>
> Action:
>       Show "It seems like you are filling a list of data, you might
>             consider selecting the first cell and dragging with the
>             autofill button to auto-complete the text for you"

Word 97 actaully does a cool thing along these lines. If you start
typing
something it recognizes it floats a balloon over the insertion point
with
what it thinks is a good completion. If you hit tab it completes that
word
for you.