Re: How to keep windows from maximizing over the panel

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On 15 Sep, Todd Graham Lewis shouted:
> ->  On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Soren Harward wrote:
> ->
> ->  > Perhaps this should be a condition for "GNOME-friendly window managers."
> ->
> ->  I think that as a matter of fairness we should have an example of a
> ->  behaviour before we mandate it.  I think that having WMs respect the
> ->  panel is technologically non-trivial, which I think is the point at
> ->  which Geoff was hinting.
>
> whihc it is not - step 1 is to make the panel a WM client (E suports
> enough hints for this as does icewm - i had a hacked panel around that
> did this just to test it out). step 2 is to make the WM think that
> macimising isnt maximising to the height/width of the screen but the
> width/heigh tof the screen MINUS an arear used up by another clients
> window.. how exactly you plan on calculating this "new" screen size can
> vary tremendously.
>
> also we have to think now about the corner panels - if you have more
> than one panel etc.. how do we consider their gemoetry sicne corner
> panels ar3ent the full width or height of the screen but can expand to
> that.. etc...

Actually, it appears that this has already been considered:

http://freeweb.pdq.net/redline/wmhints/

This by the Icewm author. So, presumably, Icewm (and E?) already supports
this, but the panel, apparently, does not. It seems easy enough to do, but
I hesitate to offer to do it myself due to a lack of knowledge about X
programming (which I'm slowly trying to rectify). If nobody else wants to,
though, I'll take a shot at it.

OTOH, having lots of panels would make the work area awfully small. I
guess that's what autohide is for.

Tim