Re: What IDE?

Ar Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 10:51:08AM +0200, scriofa Lennart Poettering:
> I want to start developing in Linux with Gnome. Because of that I'm
> searching a comfortable IDE for Linux. I would prefer something like the
> Borland C++ 5 IDE or RHIDE of DJGPP. I have already tried RHIDE for
> Linux, but the debugger doesn't work (segfault), and all keybindings are
> mixed together...
> Could somebody suggest me a good IDE?

 There isn't really a good IDE. There are some very good components that
have a sufficent amount of interoperability however. You need an editor, a
debugger, and a method of launching the compiler, and recording the error
messages.

 Editor:
   XEmacs  Very good gcc/gdb support. You can mouse click on errors, which
           are read into a buffer, just like the source, and it'll walk you
           through the code. Quite nice. Nice icons to click on to run
           stuff too. It's easier to pick up than Vim.
   Vim     vim -g will startup a nice X interface, that's very good.
           It's as good as XEmacs for syntax highlighting, indenting, and
           you just type ":make" to make the project, and read all
           error/warning messages into the editor, and trace through them.
           Vim is really, really powerful, but isn't for all tastes.
   Nedit   Simple to use, and effective editor. Has everything you
           need, but I don't know how it operates with gcc/gdb.
   Visual  Slickedit - a very, very good, non-free Windows style
           editor. Check the website, or freshmeat, for a Free demo.

 Debugger:
   gdb     Integrated into Xemacs. Very good, command line one.
   ddd     Graphical extension to gdb. The best free debugger I've used.
           you need a lot of memory for displaying variables though.
 Compiler:
           gcc   there can be only one.

John

--
 "I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star.
    We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/