Re: What IDE?

On 15-Sep-98 John Looney wrote:
> Ar Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 10:51:08AM +0200, scriofa Lennart Poettering:
>> I want to start developing in Linux with Gnome. Because of that I'm
>> searching a comfortable IDE for Linux. I would prefer something like the
>> Borland C++ 5 IDE or RHIDE of DJGPP. I have already tried RHIDE for
>> Linux, but the debugger doesn't work (segfault), and all keybindings are
>> mixed together...
>> Could somebody suggest me a good IDE?
>
>  There isn't really a good IDE. There are some very good components that
> have a sufficent amount of interoperability however. You need an editor, a
> debugger, and a method of launching the compiler, and recording the error
> messages.

Code Crusader has those. have you taken a look at it?

>  Editor:
>    XEmacs  Very good gcc/gdb support. You can mouse click on errors, which
>            are read into a buffer, just like the source, and it'll walk you
>            through the code. Quite nice. Nice icons to click on to run
>            stuff too. It's easier to pick up than Vim.

It's hard to pick up at first, the UI does not take well to new users, its
more like its designed for those who have already been using emacs.

>    Vim     vim -g will startup a nice X interface, that's very good.
>            It's as good as XEmacs for syntax highlighting, indenting, and
>            you just type ":make" to make the project, and read all
>            error/warning messages into the editor, and trace through them.
>            Vim is really, really powerful, but isn't for all tastes.

agree on all points

>    Nedit   Simple to use, and effective editor. Has everything you
>            need, but I don't know how it operates with gcc/gdb.

Superb editor. There is an interface for running make, but no debugging.
nedit is a very nice drop in replacement for IDE's that support replacement
text editors.

>    Visual  Slickedit - a very, very good, non-free Windows style
>            editor. Check the website, or freshmeat, for a Free demo.

This is a nice one. a bit on the pricey side though, but if you think about
it.... how cost effective can you be with a good IDE. It's worth the cost.

>  Debugger:
>    gdb     Integrated into Xemacs. Very good, command line one.

Also integrated into Code Medic, the counterpart to code crusader.

>    ddd     Graphical extension to gdb. The best free debugger I've used.
>            you need a lot of memory for displaying variables though.
>  Compiler:
>            gcc   there can be only one.

hrmmm pgcc? egcs?    and you are failing to consider something... perhaps C,
and C++ aren't their only coding needs as far as compilers *grin*

WIll LaShell

-Mail: Will LaShell <wlashell@cland.net>
 Date: 15-Sep-98     Time: 11:54:12