Re: theme apology

Kevin Miller wrote:

> I had no problems getting themes working.. just getting themes and apps
> that need the regular gtk+ dont seem to coincide too well...
> gimp needs functions that the themed version doesnt have.
> themes need functions that the regular gtk+ doesnt have
>
> as was asked previously, why isnt the themes-2 the main branch?

Ahem.

I would assume it's because gtk+ themes are still very
experimental and not stable enough for the main distribution.
While it's true that putting them into the main branch would lead
to faster debugging, it would also break one of the most
fundamental components of GNOME...for the very reasons you
brought up.  Themed gtk+ breaks the gimp, and who knows how many
other apps.  GNOME is constantly fighting against instability as
it is.  Throwing it a theme curveball right now probably isn't
the best strategy.

And there's also the issue of making major experimental changes
in someone else's project without their explicit approval.  Isn't
the gtk+ cvs tree that we use the *main* gtk+ development tree?
If Raster (who has waaaay too much sense to do so) had gone
tromping through the main gtk+ branch with all the engine-level
changes he was making, the response would have been horror and
chastisement.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that this is even a
question.

John