Compiling CVS

OK y'all.  I'm almost desparate here.  From reading the email on this
list, it appears the anon CVS tree is working enough for people to
actually run the programs.  I haven't been able to do that for a few
weeks now - even removed ALL my gnomecvs stuff and got the tree again.
Currently, I get an 'Illegal Instruction' on all the programs I try to
run.  I also have (:) gnome 0.20 installed in a separate area (libraries
are in /usr/lib - wherever the rpms put things).  Setting my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my shell doesn't change the behavior at runtime.  My
gnome 0.20 programs work fine.

The script I use to update the tree is:
>#! /bin/bash
>
>export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome'
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/gnome/lib"
>
>cd /home/ftp/src/gnomecvs
>for i in glib \
>         gtk+ \
>         imlib \
>         ORBit \
>         gnome-libs \
>         gnome-objc \
>         gnome-core \
>         gnome-guile \
>         ee ggv \
>         gnome-admin gnome-games gnome-network gnome-utils \
>do
>  cd /home/ftp/src/gnomecvs
>  cvs -z3 update -Pd $i && \
>  cd /home/ftp/src/gnomecvs/$i && \
>  ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/gnome --with-gtk-prefix=/usr/gnome && \
>  make && make install && \
>  /sbin/ldconfig
>done

I run this as root.  ld.so.conf is: