Re: CVS modules

Stuart Parmenter <pavlov@innerx.net> writes:

> Ok, there seem to a an AWFUL lot of modules in CVS.  (most of which I don't
> have any idea what are/do)

Short answer:

  Every new application in the GNOME project should have its own top-level (*)
  module in CVS.

  We splitted many of the big modules into smaller ones to make it more (**)
  easier for the developers to make releases.

In detail:

> for example:
>
> why does gedit have its own module?  its in gnome-utils

Wrong. It is no longer in gnome-utils. See (**).

> why isn't gnome-chess in gnome-games?

See above (*).

> gnomoney has its own cvs server setup, so why is it in ours?
> gnoom hasn't been worked on in ages

What's the problem. Should we *delete* code just because no one is
working on it ?

> gsirc doesn't work and isn't being worked on (that i'm aware of)

Same as above.

> gtkfe has been replaced by gnomefe i believe

Don't know. But I'm pretty sure it's same as below.

> guile-gtk has been replaced by gnome-guile i think

Wrong. You should better read README.gnome-guile in guile-gtk ...

> whats the status of gwp?  i know someone is working on GO which seems to be
> progressing faster than gwp....
>
> isn't libIDL in ORBit?

Wrong. It's its own top-level module and only in ORBit due to CVS magic.

> what is libiberty?

That is GNU libiberty like the name says ...

> litespeed hasn't been worked on in forever
                                     ^^^^^^^
Forever ?

> mico isn't being used anymore

And ... ?

> what is think?  it was checked in the other day
>
> is trackerg still being worked on?
>
> gcalendar is in gnome-libs

Oops, didn't find it there anywhere - where should it be ?

> what is moiss?
>
> why is gtop in its own module, with libgtop seperate and libgtop-apps

1.) GTop: See avove (*).

2.) LibGTop: is required from gtop, yes. But I think I made it clear that
    it will ever remain it's own independent module and that it can be used
    even *without GNOME*. The other way around, GTop is a program of its own
    like other programs using LibGTop will spring into existence when time
    comes ... so why put two independent programs into one module ?

3.) *you* don't need libgtop-apps. Why? Since you didn't ask me how to set up
    the autoconf/automake stuff in a new GNOME application. And that's the
    only think libgtop-apps is good for. Yes, really. I deleted everything
    from libgtop-apps, really everything except the autoconf/automake stuff.

    There are only two reasons why it still exists in CVS (and the first will
    probably anser some of your questions above):

    * Physically deleting a module in CVS means loosing it's code forever, no
      one will ever have the change to retrieve old versions, ... - just let
      it be ...

    * Ok, I can delete every single file but a README in it so everyone checking
      out that module will just this single file, yes. But I don't do this.
      Probably someone comes and askes "how can I start with the autoconf/make
      stuff for a new GNOME app" and I can tell him/her
      "have a look at libgtop-apps" ...

> seperate.  isn't gtop in gnome-utils ?

No. At the moment, it is in gnome-utils, yes - but just as long until the
cvsmaster gets the time to move it into its own module. That's why I set the
alias in the modules file so everyone can say `cvs co gtop' to get it.

> just wondering.  it seems like a waste to have so many directories with so
> little organization

Just answering ... and I don't think there's _little_ organisation !

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.com/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger baulig@math38 or fetch mykey.asc from the url above