Re: PLS: Help me to compile ...

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Paulo da Silva wrote:

> Hello,

Hello!

> This is the 3th time and probably the last I'm searching for help.

Sometimes if the answer is not obvious, or if the people who know the
answer are busy (The Atlanta Linux Showcase just finished), it might
take asking the question a couple of times for it to get noticed in
the long stream of posts.  I hope I can be of help.

> I'm trying to compile gnome sources. I followed all instructions
> and downloaded/installed indicated rpms. All but one rule - I
> haven't the redhat! I have the slackware 3.5 distr.

Plenty of people here use various flavors of Slackware (as well as
FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.).  That shouldn't be a problem.  GNOME is
intended to run on all Unix-style systems (at least those with
X-Windows).

> I could compile glib. When moving to gtk+ (and others),  I got
> a few unresolved symbols beginning with "g_". Ex. g_log.

These functions are generally in the glib libraries.  I would suspect that
glib did not get installed perfectly.  First thing to check is if
glib-config is in your path, and make sure it is the right one (type
"glib-config --libs" and make sure the directory after the -L is where
you think glib should be).  Gtk+ uses that file to locate all the glib
functions.  Add the directory where glib-config was put to your path,
rather than moving it to a different directory, since you want updates to
glib to update the glib-config file in your path.

> As much as I could see in the sources, they are not defined there.
>
> So, they must be defined in any other lib I am missing.

I found g_log() in libglib.so:

	$ nm libglib.so |grep g_log
	0000a1f8 T g_log
	00017b54 d g_log_always_fatal
	0000a220 T g_log_default_handler
	00017b70 d g_log_depth.47
	00017b4c D g_log_domain_glib
	00017b50 d g_log_domains
	00009e88 T g_log_remove_handler
	0000a93c T g_log_set_always_fatal
	00009c90 T g_log_set_fatal_mask
	00009d74 T g_log_set_handler
	00009fd0 T g_logv

> Pls tell me what lib is that? Or at least point me out any
> other place to ask for.

This is the place to ask.  I appologise if you had to get noisy to get
noticed.  It definately sounds like some problem with gtk+ talking to
glib.  If you post a more complete error message, you can get a more
complete answer.

Best of luck,
Gleef

PS: I am dissappearing for a couple of weeks, and won't be able to
reply to any email I get until I get back, so make sure the questions
go to the list.