Re: Bravo for the mess with all the files !!!

I've been compiling RPMS for the SuSE Distribution without any problems (2 minor tweaks). I have made them available on my webpage.
The packages for gnome 0.30 have been downloaded about 200 times so far, no installation problems have been reported. In fact since the 0.30 release I use gnome at home and at work, there are some problems but on the whole I like it (and for a number of reasons of my one I like it better than KDE). For the rest see below.
Regards,
Jan

TUTU wrote:

> First of all, I'm sorry if I'm rude but I think the way GNOME is organized is unacceptable and someone should say that officially.

My impression was that right now GNOME _development_ (the keyword) is organized just like KDE or even Netscape.

> I'm trying to install GNOME for about 24 hours now... << BRAVO for following standards in terms of software engineering and installation conventions ....>>
>
> Does the words DoD, IEEE1074-830-etc and ISO-etc means something for you guys ...

I am unaware of any standards for software installation, especially software in development.

> So guess what ??? It is not working ... In fact, using "top" , there is a gnome-session witch is running but i can't see it ... and typing "gnome-session" produce a lib fault ...
>
> I use to have it from the RedHat 5.1 CD but wanted to upgrade to the new version.
>
> I followed "the incorrect" procedures on how to install from FTP... (Some suggested files doesn't provide what they are supposed to)
> How are we suppose to guess the way we should install the gnome-* files once we have them ... rpm -i * doesn't work ...

I am not aware that gnome rpms of the last releases for RedHat 5.1 have been made available. Other comments on your problems to work with the Package manager have been made already.

> After installing the libs files (all of them ...) many packages was still saying that they couldn't install because some other dam files were missing

The dependencies and hence the installation order are well described in a number of documents. Besides isn't it nice to know you are still missing something.

> So, it's not that i want to be rude but what is the magic procedure to install the latest version of GNOME on RedHat 5.1 when the previous one was deleted. Alto I think it is deleted. It's that the magic procedure to do that is still rpm -e --nodeps One-By-One-files.rpm ... Like if i had nothing else to do of my days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> PS : All my friends told me to use KDE because gnome was a fucking mess... I begin to understand why ...

Its not a mess, it is work in development and as of the latest release already quite usable. Find friends who use better language, or don't just echo what you are being told.