Re: Be polite? No! Be rude!

>>>>> "Khimenko" == Khimenko Victor <gnome@khim.sch57.msk.ru> writes:

Khimenko> Heh. At least if you'll be REALLY rude you'll got SOME
Khimenko> reaction...

Good point.

Khimenko> Ok. I'll try to repeat question: what to do with toolbar's
Khimenko> localization ?  There are fundamental question with strings
Khimenko> length. Button on toolbar allows only five letters as button
Khimenko> text while some translations of such words are more then 5
Khimenko> letters:

I agree that this must be a bug.

Khimenko> Of course we could modify toolbar in GTK+ but since MOST
Khimenko> russian words are longer then english words end result will
Khimenko> be ugly (some buttons will be VERY wide) without
Khimenko> abbreviations...

I think that buttons should size themselves appropriately.  I don't
know what to do about the ugliness factor, though.

I seem to recall reading that translations from English are longer
than the English text for many languages.  So it seems like this
should be a wide problem -- not just Russian.

Hmm... I just tried `LANG=pt gnomecal'.  There are several labels on
the toolbar which are longer than 5 characters (e.g., "Anterior" and
"Seguinte").  So I imagine your problem is just a bug in whatever
program you happen to be using.  I seem to recall that it was MC.
Note that MC has its own bug-reporting address...

Khimenko> P.S. There are was also problem with MC (why translations
Khimenko> are ignored in internal editor of gmc (while works in
Khimenko> "standard" mc) but it's not general question)...

Yeah.  This should go to the MC bugs list.

Khimenko> I'll try but how about problems raised in my letter ? Or
Khimenko> GNOME is not interested in localization at all ????

Gnome is very interested in internationalization.

Tom