Be polite? No! Be rude!

24-Oct-98 11:56 you wrote:
> If you hit more snags, come back to the list and ask questions -- that's
> why we're here.  But please remember to be polite.

Heh. At least if you'll be REALLY rude you'll got SOME reaction... TUTU
<jg791569@er.uqam.ca> got four responces on his rude letter while I'm got ZERO
responces (except few letters sended via "Reply" button but not related to my
mail) on my polite question :-((

Ok. I'll try to repeat question: what to do with toolbar's localization ?
There are fundamental question with strings length. Button on toolbar allows
only five letters as button text while some translations of such words are more
then 5 letters: for example Help is "Помощь" (6 letters) or better "Справка"
(7 letters) or may be even "Подсказка" (9 letters). If this is translation of
text for Button in toolbar we must make short translation (something like
"Спрвк") but if this will be translation for "standard button" in dialog box we
may use full translaltion "Справка"... But NOT with gettext ! gettext as it is
will insist on EXACTLY one translation for "Help" ! How this problem can be
solved ? Of course we could modify toolbar in GTK+ but since MOST russian words
are longer then english words end result will be ugly (some buttons will be
VERY wide) without abbreviations... Looks like we need some solution for this in
GNOME or (may be) in gettext...

P.S. There are was also problem with MC (why translations are ignored in internal
editor of gmc (while works in "standard" mc) but it's not general question)...