Re: Purpose of RPMS wrt Gnome / install problems.

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 05:16:50PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> RedHat like to stick everything in /usr.  I'm not sure what other
> distributions do, or even what RedHat's rationale is.  configure tends
> to default to installing things in /usr/local.  Hence the
> disagreement.

	The rationale (someone at RedHat correct me if I'm wrong) is that
if it's a pre-compiled binary, managed by the system, it goes in /usr.
If it's something that you added to the system that is non-stock, or
non-system managed, it goes wherever you put it. (Traditionally, /usr/local,
or more recently, /opt)

> I'm not sure what a good solution is.  Personally, I install
> everything Gnomish from source, and then I know where it is.

	That's the best solution I've found..

--
Adam Jacob - Sr. Systems Administrator
adam@cybertrails.com