Re: Purpose of RPMS wrt Gnome / install problems.

Michael Meeks <michael@imaginator.com> writes:

> After several hours wasted struggle attempting to get a Gnome
> development system up and running from RPMS which presumably make things
> simpler I finaly deleted /usr/local/bin/gtk-config which appears to have
> solved the problem ( now presumably falling back on the correct
> /usr/bin/gtk-config ).
>
> 	IIRC there is something extremely 'interesting' about these
>
> 		/usr/local vs. /usr
>
> 	conflicts that is perculiar to Redhat ?

RedHat like to stick everything in /usr.  I'm not sure what other
distributions do, or even what RedHat's rationale is.  configure tends
to default to installing things in /usr/local.  Hence the
disagreement.

Also, things can get confusing if you install (say) libjpeg from a
source tarball in /usr/local/lib, and then try to install RPMs which
rely on it, since RPM won't know about the newer libjpeg, even though
executables will find it (provided /etc/ld.conf or whatever is setup).

I'm not sure what a good solution is.  Personally, I install
everything Gnomish from source, and then I know where it is.