Panel and applet properties won't get saved

Everytime I start the panel, I have to add the applets I want and I
also have to make the clock use 24 hour format. I haven't been able to
find what's wrong. Does anyone else have the same problem?

One more problem with gnome-session seems to be that it doesn't really
save my session. It brings up the help-browser and gmc everytime I log
in even though I always exit both of them before logging out.

gnome cvs oct 17, on a RH5.1 system.

Richard