Purify vs. GNOME; finally, it compiles

The disgusting hacks I have to pull off to do things....  :-)

I finally managed to trick everything into playing together.  The result
at least compiles.  (Running it over a 28.8 modem link is not high on my
list of Things To Do, however :-)  Ultimately, it required several hacks in
order to (a) trick gcc into accepting Solaris ld, (b) trick Purify into
getting out of the way while creating shared libraries, and (c) trick
configure into accepting (a) and (b).  (The attempt to build GNOME with
SunPro C was interesting, to say the least.  Little things like ltconfig
being convinced that cc -KPIC didn't work because it was smart enough to
notice that the test program didn't do anything and emitted a warning about
same.  How about automake limiting that check to HP/UX, since the comment
says it only applies there?  Ultimately, it tripped over automake's dependency
hackery and I gave up.)

Anyway, gnome-core has built.  If I feel gutsy tomorrow and have a few
hours to kill trying to regain control of the local system :-) I may try
to run some of it.  Although I'm a little worried about how ORBit will
respond to kxd, given its "interesting" behavior on the console with :0 !=
:0.0....

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu