Re: CORBA interface to gnome calendar

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> >  Does anyone have a document describing a CORBA interface for gnome
> >  calendar?  I am interested in one that can be used to fetch data WITHOUT
> >  connecting to the X server?  I didn't see any OMG docs with an interface
> >  for a calendar program.  If not, I am going to start writing an interface
> >  and then will implement it in gnome cal.  Hopefully, this will allow only
> >  one gnomecal process to serve all the requests, and if another one is
> >  fired up while one is running we can just kick the nongui CORBA server to
> >  pop up its window.
>
> Maybe this should be handled by the calendar server (it does not
> preclude adding CORBA bindings to it, but I think using the standard
> Internet calendaring protocols is the right thing here).
>
> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> may be working on the IRIP part of
> the protocol suite.  I really don't have time to work on ITIP, which
> is the big part -- I would appreciate help on this.
>
> There are two important places you should know about if you want to
> help with this:
>
> 	http://www.imc.org/pdi/ - the vCalendar and vCard stuff.
> 	vCalendar support in Gnomecal has to be finished (basically,
> 	fixing a couple of bugs in the vCal data generation,
> 	supporting categories and attendees).
>
> 	http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/ - All the gory details of
> 	iCalendar, ITIP, CAP, IRIP, IMIP, and friends.
>
> Preston asked me to set up a mailing list to discuss this, so I'll
> make sure it is created and get back to you.
>
>   Federico

I would like to see us use this, unfortunately I don't have too much time
either.  These resources will probably be useful in developing a CORBA
interface though.  Also, with careful use of naming our servers(CORBA
naming that is), we can switch implementations easily anyway.  Getting a
single instance of gncal to implement a good interface is a start.  We can
then change the server at will(Even have two different servers depending
on whether the user is using the calendar server or not).  I would like
gncal to implement this interface so my Pilot conduit can work with it, as
well as the calendar server in the future.  I may have enough time to work
on the ITIP stuff if I am still interested during my winter break in Dec.
though:).

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown