RE: Windows and DLLs

> In a previous letter Jochem Huhmann [joh@unidui.uni-duisburg.de] said:
>
> <snip>
> > I *really* hate that gtkrc-thing of gtk and gnome, BTW. No way to define
> > a hierarchy of settings (per-app, per-user, systemwide). Just like
> > oldfashioned  MS-Windows INI-files. It's a shame.
>
> You're thinking of the registry in Win? Have you *any* idea of how much
> trouble that can be traced back to the registry & it's settings hierachy
> (per-app, per-user, systemwide)?
>
> 1) per-app
> You'll have a *lot* of settings and somewhere inside this amourphous blob
> of data, the program you're just about to run are trying to find some kind
>
> of critical information. It didn't find it, or it's corrupted - crasch!
> You'll have to fix the problem by hand. You'll spend the rest of your free
>
> weekend just trying to *find* the settings. (And when you finally find's
> them it's a anonymous blob of data)
>
> 2) per-user
> UNIX allready has a very nice way of defining settings per user. Store
> your
> settings in your home dir!
> (Windows stores user settings, per-app & per-user & systemwide. Read the
> above "per-app")
>
> 3) systemwide
> Yea! So that John & Jane Doe can alter the behaviour of the programs I
> run.
> Whithout even hacking into my user!
>
> and finally...
> 4) task specific settings
> Task settings is say, setting the behaviour of how the system should
> handle
> mail, not setting the behaviour of how your mailing app should hadle mail.
>
> It's the complete opposite of the "old fashioned ini files" or the .cfg
> files or the .config files etc.
> Sounds very nice.
> Until someone is running more than one mailing application. Or changes
> his/her mind and starts running another mailing app.
> (And every mailing application using it's own settings format, whithin
> your
> systemwide settings.)
>

> Belive me.
> All of these things has happened.
> And I've seen them!

	[Thuau, Joachim]  mey be he thinks in terms of
	Systemwide : (config file in /etc/)
	App Wide : (Config File in the app Directory, so you could actually
install more than one version in multiple dir .. please no flames, i know
about the problems with teh libs, but,.. you got the idea..)
	User wide : (config file in Home dir..   )

	that way you could set setting at different level (preferences ...)
	you might want to have general default system wide and some 'fancy
things' (theme like maye) stored in user ..  i don't know if that was he
means, but that could be a thing to work on (i have no knowledge in
programming in Unix env.. sorry)

	sorry, i;m not really super clear, but it is a confusing topic ...

	Yolk