Re: Windows and DLLs

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Moore <tmoore@tembel.org>
To: Jesse D. Sightler <jsight@pair.com>
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Date: Thursday, October 01, 1998 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: Windows and DLLs

>Jesse D. Sightler wrote:
>> I think the problem here is when RPM gets involved.  People doing
"RPM -uvh
>> *.rpm" will tend to lose all of the older minor versions of a library,
>> causing all of their old apps to fail to function (as many of mine have).
>>
>> This is a problem that had better be resolved before things start being
>> distributed with the purpose of giving them to end-users (which GNOME is
>> still not really ready for, IMO).
>
>Not true. If an app relies on a library to run, rpm doesn't normally let
>you uninstall it (including upgrading it). It will let you have both
>versions installed at the same time.

Yes, but many people do not realize that this is what the somewhat confusing
error messages from PRM -Uvh mean.

These people then often go on to do a RPM -Uvh --force --nodeps to make it
work.  If you don't believe that people really do this, then let me remind
you that not only have I done it, but several others on the mailing lists
seem to have as well (based on other comments in other threads).

IOW, this aspect of "upgrading" is needlessly confusing and archaic, IMHO.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/