Re: Windows and DLLs

In a previous message Alan Shutko [ats@acm.org] wrote:

> L> Yes, they can!  If both them and I are using the same application,
> L> foo.app.  If foo.app stores system-wide settings in it's user
> L> setup.
>
> Ok, I understand the problem now.  It's all a matter of permissions.
> Unix has them, Win95 doesn't.  Even if you allow an app to directly
> modify system-wide settings, unless it has permission to modify that
> file, it's not going to be able to.

Well okay. I'll admit that I'm a bit windows corrupted ;-)
(As soon as someone begins to talk about system-wide settings, my first
reaction is that they are talking about the /windows/ registry. Perhaps I'm
a bit paranoid... :)

But the problem is still there (but considerably less dangerous) if you use
the word "System-wide" in this way:
Foo.app saves settings in a common file (not in a system dir, just in a
shared locaton somewhere). Now John Doe's settings will conflict with mine,
when I run the same app.
(This might be completely harmless, but it might allso lead to quite nasty
things, depending on how smart the programmer that made the app was :)
(Application settings is system wide, allthough they doesn't actually has
something with the system to do.)
Actually, I missunderstood the term "System-wide" that Jochem
Huhmann<joh@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> used, to be of this kind.

(Or, perhaps I didn't. But when I re-reads his letter, I get this creepy
feeling of having missunderstood something important :-/

mvh
// Liss
liss@ydab.se