whats the correct way of starting gnome

How are you suppose to start gnome when you start your window manager.
Following the gnome page it says

First question most people have is "How do I start GNOME?". Currently
the preferred method is to have the following in your
  $(HOME)/.xinitrc file (or whatever file your window manager is started
by):

        background-properties --init &
        keyboard-properties --init &
        mouse-properties --init &
        panel &
        exec <your favorite window manager>

but this causes error messages from all the properties programs
complaining about the --init option. Also under this configuration when
gnome does start the background-panel chews 98% of the cpu resources,
killing it works fine.

The faq page says to make

gnome-session the last line of your .xinitrc but this file is not
included in any of the packages i've dl'ed from the ftp site.

There appears a conflict of info here....can anyone tell me the correct
way of starting ?