Re: orbit-name-server and esd

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Clausen <clausen@alphalink.com.au> writes:

Andrew> Or can gnome-session have a section for "shutdown" - programs
Andrew> to run when shutting down?

It does, but the shutdown commands must be registered by a session
client.

Andrew> How exactly does gnome-session kill things, anyway?

After a save request, the session manager can send a Die request.  An
evil client can ignore this, of course.  A buggy client might die when
the X server resets (or shuts down).  A determined client might ignore
the message (but then one might ask why it is dealing with session
management in the first place).

No Unix signals or anything like that are involved.  The session
management is designed to work across the net, with any kind of
platform (just as X itself is designed).

Andrew> Are there any good docs an ICE?

I don't know about ICE, but there are a couple of documents describing
session management.  One is called "X Session Management Protocol" and
the other is "X Session Management Library".

I got them both (in some lame format) from the X11R6 distribution.  As
far as I know neither is available in HTML (which would be convenient,
ergo impossible).

Tom