Re: Menus

John R Sheets wrote:

> I wonder if it would be possible to reparent all the torn-off menubars to a
> common window, i.e. a floating menu container....  When each GNOME app started up
> in global-menu-mode, it would register its menu with the container, rather than
> itself.  When each GNOME app got the focus, it could make a quick little CORBA
> call with a single parameter, the menu id (which it passed when it registered the
> menu).  Now, I'm no X-Windows guru either, but this sounds like it might be
> workable.  **Assuming** tear-off menus can be reparented like that.
>
> Anyone?

You know, that's a really good idea. Much more elegant than what I had
in mind. And given the example of Jaka Mocnik's toolbar dock, it seems
like it would be doable, and not that hard. (Famous last words)

Miguel de Icaza is right in saying that this won't make the cut for 1.0,
but I'll definitely be working on it for 1.1/1.2. First thing I'll do is
work up a new implementation plan, which I'll post here later in the
week, after I spend some time with Jaka's code & whatever CORBA/ORBit
docs I can find. (Pointers appreciated... )

JP