gtk (from cvs) autoconfig error

Hi, I just checked out the latest gtk from CVS following the instruction
given on the gnome web page.   When I run autogen.sh, I get the following error:

./autogen --prefix=/usr/local/gnome

configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:151: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:385: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:403: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:151: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:385: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
configure.in:403: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross comp
iling
creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-def
ine)'

I am not familiar with the autoconfig stuff. Any help is appreciated