Re: gtk (from cvs) autoconfig error

Andy Tai wrote:

> Hi, I just checked out the latest gtk from CVS following the instruction
> given on the gnome web page.   When I run autogen.sh, I get the following error:
>
> ./autogen --prefix=/usr/local/gnome
>               <snip>
> creating cache ./config.cache
> ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
> ./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-def
> ine)'
>
> I am not familiar with the autoconfig stuff. Any help is appreciated

I had this problem.  Apparantly automake/autoconf don't like being installed
in /usr/bin but executed on something in /usr/local (or elsewhere)...  The solution
was to
rpm --erase my existing automake/autoconf and install the latest versions of
automake/autoconf in /usr/local from ftp.gnu.org.  Now everything compiles
"out of the box."

Regards,

Dave

--                 "Trying to get Windows to run on the hardware that
David Orme                  Linux typically [flys] on is like pushing
david@coconut-palm-software.com        an elephant through a keyhole"
http://www.coconut-palm-software.com           --Forbes Magazine