Re: A few oddities in the panel

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Marcus Brubaker wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:
>
> > the panel changing bg is a panel issue. definitely - the arrows - not
> > sure but It probably is a panel issue too. Themes makes it a lot
> > stricter for apps - they cannot asume ANYTHIGN - colr, fotn,
> > bacckground.. infact the panel was always broken as such.. themes just
> > brings it out more. hint for programmer.s. NEVER assume solid
> > backgroudn.. NEVER assume gray.. never assume font size or anything..
> > cause a user may just go change this on you..themes simply makes it
> > easy and packages it up for users to do.. :)
>
> Alright, this kinda leads into something that I've been wondering about
> for the last while.  How can I tell if a setting has been explicitly set
> by a theme or by an app sepecific rc file?  I thought it would have to do
> something with gtk_widget_get_style() but I haven't had any luck.

the rc file DETERMINES the theme - the app shudl be extremely careful
abotu setting anythgn in a style - currently there is no way to knwo what
is a syle comes form user settngs but you should assume EVERYTHING in the
style is a user setting unless your app overrides it explcitly - and this
should only be doen for a very very very good reason.

> Marcus Brubaker
> spoon@elpaso.net
> http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon
>
> The X Window System will henceforth be known as the NC-17 Window System.

--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com
Carsten Haitzler           | _ //__\\ __||_ __\\ ___|| _ /  Red Hat Advanced
218/21 Conner Drive        || // __ \\_ \ | |   \ _/_|| /   Development Labs
Chapel Hill NC 27514 USA   ||\\\/  \//__/ |_|   /___/||\\   919 547 0012 ext 282
+1 (919) 929 9443, 801 4392   For pure Enlightenment   http://www.rasterman.com/